Friday, April 18, 2008

Let's go fly a kite.......take 14

A few weeks ago we bought a $20 or so kite from Costco. With a great desire to expose our kids to the simple joy of kite flying, Adam set out to show them how it's done. Just about every day after work, Adam would rally the kids out to the front yard and prepare the large kite for flight. Averi was in charge of holding the kite while Adam had the string and Owen looked on in anticipation. Adam would then run the long length of our whole block in vain. He was persistant though and would try over and over again until the kids just couldn't follow behind anymore. This pattern continued for several days.

A few days ago, I was at Toys R Us and decided to pick up a $4.95 kite in hopes to extinguish the kids dissappointment. Averi was not feeling well so she stayed inside while Owen (with little hope) and Adam went out to give it another shot. Go figure, even with little wind, the kite soared.

I was so sad that Averi couldn't see so I took some pictures to show her as she laid in bed almost asleep. She smiled real big, turned over and went to sleep. I think we'll try it again today so she can see.

Here is the famous ice cream truck that goes by our street just about every day. Adam always buys an ice cream for the kids when he's home but I think that it just isn't in my nature to buy them because we never even though of it when we were kids. We just knew there was no reason to ask mom and dad because we knew they would say "no".
Yesterday, we heard the ice cream truck and Averi and Owen got real excited followed by immediate dissapointment. Averi then said,
"moms don't buy ice cream for their kids, just dads. Owen, I guess we'll just have to wait till dad gets home".
I am totally OK with this theory.

My attempt at a fun project. Sugar cube castles with frosting. Averi took to it really well, while Owen piled a couple sugar cubes scooped a few spoonfulls of icing in to his mouth and called it a day (and then came back for more frosting of course).

Wade's cute (and very long) little toes.

4 comments:

Amanda Weir said...

Well, I think we can all tell whos feet Wade has. I love the Kite story. Adam looks like he is loving it. Oh Owen does too. Cute, Cute, Cute.

Lindsay Klinger said...

I love owens face in the kite picture. He is so happy. I love kites we used to try and fly them all the time when we were little but if I remember right we very rarely ever got them to fly.

caryn said...

We were out flying our kite today. The kids LOVED it. It was a target clearance item for like 2 bucks. The cheaper, the better. :o) Love ya. Wade has the exact same feet as Adam. What a lucky guy!

Melissa said...

We went for the $5 kite and have not been disappointed! Ladd has mad kite flying skills that I was not aware of until a few months ago!
Adam is so nice to buy ice cream from the ice cream truck. Tanner still wonders what the purpose of the ice cream man is as he has never gotten anything from it, even though on he goes by our house everyday!
I hope Averi is feeling better!