Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Standing for Something

Today, along with many other supporters of Yes on 8, we kept Averi out of school. When calling in her absence we let the school know that we kept her out of school because of the $1 million dollar donation that the California Teacher Association gave to preserve same sex marriage and all of the implications that it includes, especially on education. Adam also wrote an email to David Sanchez, the head of CTA (who approved the donation)

Okay, I'm gonna be blunt here...

People who think that because we support Prop 8, we are nieve, homophobic, angry Bible waving people are rediculous. Here's the bottom line...

Proposition 8 is not an attack on gay couples and does not take away the rights that same-sex couples already have under California’s domestic partner law.

California law already grants domestic partners all the rights that a state can grant to a married couple.

According to California Law, marriage IS taught in public schools. Our kids WILL be taught this and there will be nothing we can do about it except take our kids out of the public school system.
.
The great thing about this country is that we have the freedom to live how we choose. The thing that is not okay, is when those choices have repercussions on my family.
.
I don't want my kids growing up in a genderless society. To be honest, it scares me.
Not convinced? Check out this link and read the King & King book for yourself. This could be what our kids are reading in the classroom. Also, check out this post (good stuff).
.
oh and.....standing for something is exhausting. Anyone down for a post election party?

12 comments:

Sarah Hull said...

Amen. You go girl. Thank you for being brave and bold. We need strong statements like these. It's crunch time!

Amanda Weir said...

RIGHT ON GIRL! Adam told me about this today and I felt my heart start racing and I was so upset.

I really dont think some people know the effect this is going to have on us, are children. Like Sarah said its crunch time!

We all need to do our part. We need to make sure the everyone we know knows about PROP 8.

I have my sign all ready to wave on the corner for Thursday.

caryn said...

Hey Stacey. Ditto for our family and many of our friends. We wrote letters and did a waive party on a busy corner with a bunch of people. We got lots of honks and waves...only two thumbs down!

I HATED explaining to my 1st grader the reason behind all of this....he was mostly upset about the two thumbs down :)

I am glad you posted about this...two weeks left.

jenni bishop said...

I'm up for the party you mentioned...and it better include celebration of the passing of Prop 8! Can I please just do a post that says...go to Stacey's blog?

Lindsay Klinger said...

I clicked on your 'this post' link & read what was written - a lot was written about being 'open minded'.

The problem with some people, those opposed to prop 8 for example, is that they're so 'open minded' that their brains have fallen right out of their heads!!

So many are concerned with their 'rights'. It's all about "we have rights" and "we're gonna fight for our rights", but these same people rarely, if ever speak of duty or responsibility.

Good on you for doing your duty as a responsible citizen and being a force for good in the world!!

- Keith

Hess Fam said...

Well said my friend. And let me know when the celebration begins! I'll be there!

Sarah Hull said...

Did someone say party?

Seriously, is it November 5th yet?

Les and Cheryl said...

Thanks Stacey, you said it well! I don't think they are open minded. They are closed minded and less tolerant than the rest of us. I'm so proud your standing up for what you believe.

Molly Jolley said...

Amen to that sister :) love ya

Carrie Anne said...

i love love loved your post! i wish i lived there just so i could go door to door & inform people!!!! all of you who are working so hard are my heroes! way to go! keep the faith! i hope it's one awesome party after it passes!!!!!! wish i could be there!!!:)

Sara said...

Stacey, I agree with all the other comments on your blog and thanks for taking a stand! Love sara

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Hope you don't mind but I placed a link to your blog on one of my many Yes on Prop 8 posts. I caught yours through Carrie Rhodes' link. I seriously feel so exhausted over this cause. I cannot wait for Nov. 4 and just pray that it passes. I know what I'm fasting for this coming Fast Sunday.