Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Bilingual household?

After exhausting lizard hunting yesterday (see post below), Averi sat down to play her new video game that I had purchased earlier from Wal Mart. I cannot stand the Bratz dolls but this game was on clearance and it was dress up and learning numbers so I thought Averi would love it. She did. She played it for about an hour and I was amazed at what she was learning and how much she enjoyed the game I got for such a great deal! Later that night, I was cleaning up and was about to throw away the box when I noticed.......IT IS IN SPANISH!! I went in to Averi's room and asked her if she couldn't understand the game and why didn't she tell me?
Averi said "yeah mom it is in Spanish and at first I didn't really understand it but then I did and sometimes we get things that we don't understand so we can learn."
Wow, that sounded pretty good and even made me think for a minute that I was a good mom for promoting her cultural side. I asked her if she would like to go take it back and get one that is in English.
Averi said "well, we can go get a new game in English but can I keep my favorite game in Spanish?"
What is a mother to do?
PS I told Adam this story and he said "sweet!"

1 comments:

Les and Cheryl said...

That is really funny, but I bet she'll be even better at spanish by the time she plays it for awhile. Grandma Udy would be proud, and so are we. Good Job Averi!