Monday, April 13, 2009

We will miss you Grandma "Beauty"


My sweet Grandma Udy, who my kids lovingly referred to as Grandma "Beauty", passed away on Easter Morning. She was diagnosed with Cancer last year.
I was thinking of all the things I have loved about her.
When she would read us books when we were young, she would sing the words.
Eating whistle pops on her front porch.
Using only the remote to the tv because she was afraid the buttons on the TV would wear out.
Washing dishes by hand because she didn't want to wear out the dishwasher.
The really small plastic cups that all grandmas have:)
Turning the fan on really low so you could watch each blade turn when it was 110 degrees in the middle of summer (she was affraid if she turned it too high, the blades would fly out).
When she came to visit, she always brought weird gifts like chapstick.
She loved to draw and was a wonderful artist. She really loved that Averi likes to draw so much.
She watched Spanish soap operas every day and even though she doesn't speak spanish, she was determined to become fluent.
She always called me the "mechanical one". She really thought I could fix anything. As a kid, that made me feel so good.......okay, okay it still makes me feel good:)
Grandma was quirky and WONDERFUL!
Blanch Udy
April 19, 1920-April 12, 2009

4 comments:

Les and Cheryl said...

Thank you Stacey, that was beautiful.
loves
mom

aimee_p said...

Stacey that was very thoughtful and sweet, I am happy you have so many wonderful memories to carry on with you!

caryn said...

What sweet memoried you have...thanks for sharing. We can't wait to see you.

jenni bishop said...

So sweet of you to share these fun memories. I'm glad you got to go to Idaho and see her so recently. Glad the kids could have those last special memories!

You are the mechanical one...I will be the one to tell you that for years to come, now that she is not able to tell you!

Your mom is awesome for taking care of her the way she did! It takes more sacrifice that most people realize. Cheryl, you did a wonderful thing!